Friday, February 2, 2018

Characterization


In the opening scene of Thomas Hardy's novel The Mayor of Casterbridge, Michael Henchard (who later becomes the titular mayor) makes the worst mistake of his life. He sells his wife and infant daughter in an auction.

At this point Henchard's not a mayor, but an out-of-work hay-trusser. He and his wife Susan are wandering around, looking for work. Their relationship is clearly pretty strained—rarely do they even speak to each other. They decide to stop at the town of Weydon-Priors, where there's huge fair going on. Here Henchard gets obscenely drunk, and this exacerbates his worst qualities: his short temper and his impulsiveness. He argues loudly with Susan, and with other fairgoers laments the “ruin of good men by bad wives.” The scene escalates quickly and culminates in the sale of Susan and Elizabeth-Jane, the daughter, to a sailor from out of town. Shortly thereafter, Henchard passes out.

Upon awakening the next morning, Henchard immediately regrets the events of the previous day. In the nearest church, he swears not to drink at all for 20 years. The next several months he spends in search of Susan and Elizabeth-Jane, but to no success. Despite his remarkable persistence, Henchard does eventually give up the search and turns, penniless, to the town of Casterbridge.

Here the novel fast-forwards 18 years. Henchard has become the mayor and also fantastically wealthy. But, as Henchard himself says, “the Mayor of Casterbridge is not so thriving in his mind as it seems he might be from the state of his pocket.” He has struggled with a tremendous sense of guilt.

It's at this point that Susan and Elizabeth-Jane arrive in Casterbridge in search of Henchard, the sailor having drowned at sea. In hopes of atoning for his past actions, Henchard is eager to welcome them back into his life. “Judge me,” he begs Susan, “by my future works.”

He promises to remarry her, and in courting her proceeds to pay her excessively frequent visits. In addition to making amends, he also hopes to “castigate himself with the thorns which these restitutory acts bring in their train; among them the lowering of his dignity in public opinion by marrying so comparatively humble a woman.” In addition to atonement, he also is seeking punishment for his past wrongs.

BUT... Henchard knows he can never fully atone for his past wrongs. In the interim between selling Susan and accepting her back into his life, he promised to marry another woman. He is equally obligated to both women, but must chose one over the other....

3 comments:

  1. This blog style reminds me of walking down a carnival pier holding a stick of cotton candy the size of my head.
    In regard to the actual content, I think it's great. You do an amazing analysis of Henchard and your use and integration of quotes is superb. I am interested to see what you think of Donald-- both him as a character and how he contrasts with Henchard. I think Hardy's use of the Scotchman adds a whole separate layer to Henchard's failures, which is honestly what is focused on most in the book. I look foreward to your further analyses of Henchard and the gang as we continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max!! Great post!! I really like your writing style: sophisticated and with a nice flow. I enjoyed reading your post because you did a nice job incorporating important plot details in your analysis of Henchard. Even though I am not reading the book, I feel like I understand the main conflicts and Henchard's character quite well! As Cooper said, you have great quote integration... they truly show how Henchard is "impulsive" and "short tempered." I am wondering about the setting of the story. What time frame do these events take place? Where is Casterbridge and what are the social norms of the citizens there? I recognize that selling people is obviously wrong, but is this all taking place where selling people is more common? Can't wait to read more!
    Bin-Bin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max, this is a good overview of the book so far. I wonder what your thoughts about the book are. Do you like the characters? Feel as though they are realistically portrayed? Let us know what you think a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

Final post

Now that I've run out of required topics, it's hard to find a good topic for a post.  I guess I'll just run through some of the ...